Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"God Seen at Lemonade Stand"

The next time you happen by a child's lemonade stand be sure to slow down and take a good look...you may just see God!

On Sunday, after the worship service a Mother walked up to me. Her two daughters Caitlyn and Yelsa (I believe they are around 5 and 6 years old) were hanging on to her legs. It was obvious the girls wanted to be a silent part of the conversation that was about to take place between their mother and me. Their Mother put a small jar in my hands. Then she explained: "We had a garage sale this week. My girls insisted on having a lemonade stand. They said they wanted to get money for the orphans in Ukraine. So, here is what they raised, $34.58."

$34.58 does not sound like too much to us, but to a five and six year old that's enough to buy a brand new toy or a several trips to Dairy Queen. But these little girls, not prompted by any adult, but certainly prompted by Jesus, found a way to do something for orphans. I shared with the girls that it takes $10 a day to feed the orphans in Ukraine. That means their money will feed an orphan for almost three and half days. They did not just find a way to help...they made a way...and then when the money came they resisted any temptation to keep any for themselves. They gave it all away!

As I praised God for speaking to children and being a part of a church family where children are prompted (and parents allow their children) to BE the church and love the likes of orphans not just with words but actions, I also found myself saying, "God forgive me." If a 5 and 6 year old can find a way to help the helpless what excuse do I have...what excuse do you have? The fact is, we are without excuse.

To love God is to love others...This is true religion, James, the half brother of Jesus said, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world" (James 2:27). In another place James says, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins" (James 4:17). It does not say he who has a means or she who feels comfortable...or they who have no problems of their own...rather it says "Anyone"...I think that includes us all..."who knows"...that means not one's present life-season, situation, skill set or financial standing, but merely one's knowledge of a need is what qualifies us for and requires us to do good.

I don't know about you, but I just saw God at a lemonade stand...its funny...I never thought of God showing up in the appearance of two blond haired little girls, but I guess God is willing to show up whenever and however we will let him. Thank you Caitlyn and Yelsa for letting me see God through you!

Do you have a God-sighting story this week? Please send it my way!

2 comments:

raechelly said...

Praise God for our children. God is truly amazing.

Janie M.

Chad said...

Isn't that cool? I love to see kids respond to Jesus and lead us adults.