Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"Morning is Coming"

"My soul waits for the Lord more than watchman wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning." Psalm 130:6

On ancient city walls, watchmen stood guard through out the night. While others slept, they kept watch. Their shift did not end until dawn broke through the night. No matter how long and how dark the night was, they knew morning would come.

Using that imagery, the Psalmist says in the same way that the watchman knows morning is coming, so I am waiting on God to break trough the darkness of life. It is a courageous confidence not in the circumstances of life but in the character of God. God will come through. As certain as we are that night will pass and morning will come, so are we that the darkness life can bring will give way to God's light. God's light will overcome our present darkness.

It is such a simple cliche, and yet, it is so very true..."this too shall pass." When you are on guard during a night time experience of life, it is easy to think, "This is never going to end...this pain, this struggle, this problem...is never going to pass." But our hope is not in the circumstances, it is God alone. And in him, we have the same certainty that the watchman had in the middle of the night..."It may be dark now...the night may be long, but if I keep my eyes open, I will see the sun rise."

I don't know who this is for today...but whoever you are, I urge you...hang on...don't give up heart...the Morning is coming!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have been watching for two weeks now as my dad slowly faded. It has been difficult during this watching and waiting time, but just one hour ago Dad met Jesus face to face. I am so blessed to have had a father who was faithful to God and his family. Right now it hurts, yet I know that I will meet him in the morning. Heaven holds more promise to me than ever before.

Chad said...

Dear Mary,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your Father. I am praying for you and your family. I praise God with you that he is in Heaven and you will see him again.