Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"New Name"

Yesterday I was sitting in court. I was there as a witness for an adoption. When Levi was 7 months old he was brought to the home of foster parents Mark and Sue Atherton, who are a part of our church family (you know, Mark from preaching while I was on sabbatical). Levi was considered a "special needs" case because of his birth-home environment. But, to Mark and Sue, he has always just been special. Levi is now four years old and the only Mom and Dad he has ever known is Mark and Sue. As far as he was concerned, Christopher, has always been his big brother. Step by step, this family followed God's lead to love and yesterday the court put on paper what had already happened in their hearts...Levi became their legally adopted son.

When the judge announced, "Your name is now Levi Ewing Atherton, " Levi lit up. I wish you could have seen his reaction! It was so cool! His hands shot up in the air in excitement and he looked straight at Sue. She nodded her head as if to reassure him that it was true. He now had a new name. He has the Atherton name and that means he is in their permanent care and responsibility. What is theirs is his.

Through adoption, Levi became the fully legal son of the only Mom and Dad he has ever known. Afterwards, Levi, with eyes wide open and a big smile on his face said to everyone, "I've got a surprise for you...we have cake and ice cream back at my house!" "My house"...that's right Levi...you now don't just have a place to stay, you have a home. Thank you Mark and Sue for giving me a picture of what Being the church looks like. It is one of those moments I will put down as one of my top ten best days of being a pastor.

As I was driving back to Living Hope, I prayed, "Father, thank you!" You see, as Levi was adopted, I couldn't help but remember what Jesus did for me when I was seven years old. I prayed and asked Jesus to come into my life. That day I was given a new name. I was no longer just Chad Arlen Current. I was Chad Arlen Current, son of THE KING of kings. He put me in his family and has taken on permanent care and responsibility for me. What is his, is mine! And some day, when this life ends, he will take me by the hand and say, "Earth was a only place for you to stay for while, but now you have a home."

Have you been adopted by the Heavenly Father, yet? Have you made a decision to not just know Jesus but to walk in daily relationship with him? Do you want to know more about what being adopted by him means? I am always available to talk about that.

The Bible says in Romans 8:15-17, "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption. And by him we cry, "Abba, Daddy." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

No comments: