Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"We Interupt Your Regular Scheduled Program..."

You're watching your favorite television show. Its getting to what should be the best part of the show. You are on the edge of your seat. "This is going to be good", you think to yourself. Then, suddenly, the show shuts off and you hear these words, "We interrupt your regular scheduled program for this special announcement." Chances are the special announcement is more important than the ending of your show, but you don't care. You want to see what happened while your still in the moment, but the interruption has a different message for you to hear.

If it were only TV shows that got interrupted in life that would be good, but its not. Best laid plans get interrupted...schedules get interrupted...dreams get interrupted...relationships get interrupted...interruptions are a part of life. And quite frankly, they are not a part of life I appreciate.

Just today, I had everything planned out. I would get to the office and I would get through my to-do-list and then...wam, bam...interruption...not of people but of circumstances and before I know it half the day is gone and not even half of my to-do-list is done.

And about that time Jon Gibson chimes in and says something completely ridiculous like, "Maybe God had other plans for your day." "You know what Jon, you can just keep your little spiritual opinions to yourself...I just want to me mad at having life interrupt me"...that's what I wanted to say...but God would not let me because I knew Jon was right. Why did this interruption bother me so much? Do I get so caught up in what I need to do that I miss what God wants to do? If it is true for TV then I am sure it is all the more true for God...if the special announcement that interrupts the TV show is more important than the ending of the show then isn't that all the more reason to watch for God in the interruptions of life?

So, today, I heeded the word of Pastor Jon. I looked around and guess what...He was right. God did have other plans. The plans I had fell through but his plans for me to build relationship with two folks in the midst of those failed plans were more important.

It made me think of Hebrews 13: 2, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels with out knowing it."

What if what I see as an interruption, God sees as just the angel I needed most. May God help me and you not to miss seeing him even in the interruptions.

Got any God-sighting stories? Have you seen God in the midst of an interruption? Send them my way...I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: