Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"God Sighting"

I thought I’d share my Random Thoughts early this week.



This past Sunday the book of Ruth challenged us to watch for God. So, today, with my wrist band as a reminder, I kept my eyes open. Guess what?! I saw God.



My God sighting occurred around 6:30 PM tonight. A week ago our prayer chain started praying for 200 kids at VBS. This was a big request considering last year the most we had by the third night was 156 kids. Guess how many kids we had last night…this year’s first night? We had 198 kids! I not only saw God in that number, but in the eyes, smiles, dancing, running of the children. I saw him through the loving action of those in our church family who served.



I specifically saw God working in a little boy in the Bible story time. He, in complete sincerity said, “I heard God is dead.” I looked him in the eye, smiled and said, “He was, but he came back to life. He is alive right now.” He said, “But I can’t see him. Where is he?” I said, “God is like the wind. You can’t see him, but you can see what he moves…what he affects.” His eyes brightened up. He smiled…it was if he was relieved…”Oh” He said. He got it…he received it…God is alive and God is with him. It was as though for the first time, this boy who someone invited learned that God really was alive, well, and with him.



That is why we do this every year…that is why we go all out…because a child is worth it. It would be worth it for one and it is worth it for 198. Kids don’t have to grow up not knowing and living in God’s love, hope and peace. God is giving us a great opportunity and responsibility this week.



However, 198 on the first night means we will have more the next night and that means in order to be effective we need one more adult or teen helper in every class. You do not have to teach or come up with any thing. All you would have to do is be there and help the class teacher and other helpers get the class to each of their activities...and…most important…smile, get to know the child’s name and show them by your presence that there is another adult who says they are worth their time…to be honest some of the kids need that like you would not believe…just being there has the potential of being life-changing to some of the boys and girls God has sent us.



On my way home, I prayed, “God, how can we handle this many kids. “ He said, “That’s what you prayed for.” I said, “I know but now what?” Then I was reminded of Bible example after example where the point comes through loud and clear that God has already given us everything we need. God would not have sent us 198 kids if he did not want us to share the love of Jesus with them. And he would not have sent them if he did not know we could effectively do that.



So, what do you say? We need at least 10 people for the next 4 nights. Just 10 people out of our 450 person church. Will you help? If so, please do not email me. Email Robin directly. Thank you so much for those who will. Thank you so much for those who can’t but will pray hard for this week’s VBS. You are an amazing church! Robin’s email is: rwientge@cinci.rr.com



So, that is my God sighting story for day one of our journey. I would love to hear your stories these next 5 weeks. Feel free to email me with any small or big God sighting!

No comments: