Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"What if?"

What if the difference between those who see God working where others do not even see God has to do with the "what if?" The Bible, from beginning to end, is a story of people daring to pray and live out the, "What if?"

Noah asked, "What if that really is God telling me to build a huge ship in the middle of the desert?

Abraham asked, "What if its not too late for me and my 90 year old wife to have a baby of our own?"

Joseph asked, "What if my own brothers selling me off as a slave was the best thing that could have ever happened not just for me but for my whole family; including my brothers?"

Moses asked, "What if I did give up shepherding, walk into Egypt and say, "God says let my people go?"

Joshua asked, "What if marching around Jericho could bring down walls?"

Ruth asked, "What if staying with a bitter mother-in-law in her grief is the right thing to do?"

Samuel asked, "What if a shepherd boy that no one else sees as anything but ever being a shepherd could be greatest king of Israel?"

David asked, "What if God can forgive adultery and murder in such a real way that you become known as 'a man after God's own heart'?

Nehemiah asked, "What if we stopped talking about rebuilding the temple and started actually doing it?"

Job asked, "What if instead of cursing God in my pain, I kept on trusting him?"

Isaiah asked, "What if God could take my unclean lips and use them to to turn God's people back to his love and way?"

Daniel asked, "What if I remain faithful to God even if it means the lion's den?"

Hosea asked, "What if marrying a prostitute will preach louder than any message I could ever preach?"

Shepherds asked, "What if God is as close as a baby in a manger?"

Peter, Andrew, James and John asked, 'What if there is more to life than making a living?"

Matthew asked, "What if God is not afraid to hang out with sinners like me?"

Paul asked, "What if God did not come to save a people but all people; what if in God's eyes there is no Jew or Greek, rich or poor, male or female?"

James asked, "What if trials are a reason to rejoice?"

John asked, "What if Jesus is knocking on the heart of the church, but he will only knock so long before he returns?"

The list of biblical examples could go on and on...The real question is will we carry on the example? Will we dare to pray and ask the, "What if?" Its no surprise that those who do are the ones who see God working where others can't even see God.

What would your what if be this week? Email me your, "what if's?"

Here is one to get us started: What if this summer Living Hope Church and Franklin Church in working with Kids Against Hunger could offer children something more than dirt to eat in Jesus name?

No comments: