Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"The Hardest, Easiest Thing"

Today I attended the Funeral of Vic Cassano. Around here his name is a household word because of his success with his business, Cassano's Pizza. However, around Living Hope, some of us had the chance to get to know the man behind the "Pizza King," through his son, Chris, and family. Vic would occasionally worship with us here even though he was a devout Catholic. I always knew that when he visited he would hunt me down after the service to ask questions about the sermon. We had some really good after-service conversations.

Today one of those conversations really stands out. I see a man like Vic and I think to myself, "There is a man who has it all together. He is successful and he makes it look easy." However, Vic was the first to admit that his personal life and his business life had its share of ups and downs. For instance, Vic had polio when he was a child and had the last rites. He also faced major set backs over the years in his business. But it was through those setbacks that he learned the hardest, easiest thing to do.

He explained it to me this way one day after a worship service: "Chad,I can tell you a day that my life and my faith took a major turning point." He then described a series of major set backs in his life and business. He said, "I kept praying for God to fix this and give me that." Then he said, "One Sunday my Priest was talking about Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane the night he was arrested. As Jesus sweat blood he prayed, "not my will, but yours." Vic said,"All of the sudden it hit me. I was praying for the wrong thing. I was praying for what I thought I needed, when what I needed to do was give it over to God and ask him to give me his will. His will is always best isn't it? "

"I believe so, " I said.

He said, "Me too. From that day on I learned that when things are not going well, the best prayer for me to pray is not what I think should happen but to trust him to give me what he knows is best."

It was obvious Vic was not just saying empty words. He was speaking from real faith and life experience. This is how Jesus had taught him to live and he lived it!

Friends, that is the hardest , easiest thing to do. It is the hardest because it is so hard to come to the point where we trust that God's will is better than our own. It is the easiest because the more you let go, give something fully into God's hands and trust his will more than your own, the more you get see God move and work in ways that you could not have even imagined.

I have found this to be true in my life. Peace, joy, hope, strength, freedom...it is all available to us through Jesus Christ every moment of every day. He is withholding nothing from us...he gave everything for us. But every time I find myself lacking it is because I am holding on to something that belongs in his hands.

You can trust his will. It may not always be what is most comfortable or desirable for the moment, but eventually we will find what Jesus showed us...when we pray God's will even death can't hold back a Resurrection...a fresh start...new life...hope eternal!

Who needs to do the hardest, easiest thing in the world today? Who is holding on to something and all the worrying, trying and crying can't change? Its as hard and simple as praying, "Father, not my will, but yours."

Today I need that prayer. I am wound tight with stress. I am holding onto things that the Father is wiling to hold for me. I trust his will. "Father, you know...I give you....not my will, but yours."

Vic it was an honor to begin to get to know you. I wish we had more time. Thank you for reminding me of the hardest, easiest thing in the world. You are right...it works!

No comments: