Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"Dirty Windows"

The windows in my car have been dirty for over a year. I am not talking about the exterior, I mean they were dirty on the inside. How dirty were they? They were so dirty that even on a bright sunny day it looked like it was foggy and dreary outside. For over a year now, every time I would get in the car, I would think, "I have got to clean these windows." It was getting to the point that it was actually dangerous to drive at night...Yes, the windows were that dirty. I even told Kimberly, "I have got to clean these windows before it causes an accident."

And do you know what I found? This is very interesting...All my talking, all my promises, all my intentions and even me sharing this situation with my wife did not clean my windows. No matter how much I talked or thought about it, my dirty windows remained dirty. The only thing that cleaned my windows was when I stopped off yesterday to have my car washed and made the decision to have the inside of my car cleaned as well. When I left the car wash it was as though I was driving in a brand new car and seeing the world for the first time. I could actually, clearly see out my windows. I have to say I enjoyed driving a whole lot better, with clean windows. But again, for a year all my talking and thinking about it did not clean my windows. The only thing that cleaned my windows was when I made the decision to do something about it and then did it!

From where I sit, I see a lot of people who want to talk, think and even pray about their "dirty windows." They have dirty windows that they know are ruining their vision and dampening, if not destroying their lives. They are ready to recognize it and talk about it, but then Weeks, months, years go by and 20 years later they find themselves still talking about how they need to clean their windows, but their windows are dirtier than ever. And then, together we cry and say, "I have had dirty windows for 20 years, when is this ever going to change? Why won't God clean my windows?" The truthful answer is, "He never will. He won't clean your dirty windows as long as you are doing what I did with mine...talking, thinking, sharing, but making the decision to do nothing." James 4:17 puts it this way, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." To know that it is time to have our windows cleaned and make a decision not to is simply sin and all sin does is separate us farther and farther from the very one who can do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. To be very honest, this side of ministry gets very discouraging...it is exhausting to see people you care about choose to live with dirty windows even after they have long since realized this is less than God's best for them.

However, what keeps me going is that for every person who chooses to live and perhaps even die or be killed by dirty windows, there are folks every week around here who stop talking about it and make the decision to pull into the car wash and do what they can so God can do what only he can do to clean their windows.

That is what this Friday night is about here at Living Hope as we are invited to gather with Celebrate Recovery for two hours of help and hope. This Friday night is for people like you and me who are honest enough to admit we have some dirty windows and are tired enough of living with them to make a decision to do something about it. And for those who make that decision...interestingly enough...positive change from God always comes...it may not be easy or fast, but those who make a decision to to what they need to do so God can do what he can only do always see God work.

So, how about you? Tired of trying to see through dirty windows. Join me and others this Friday at Living Hope from 6-8 PM (come anytime you can; child care provided). I'm telling you...it is so much better driving with clean windows!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch.ouch.ouch. I hate my dirty window but it is so hard to choose to clean it. sometimes I pray that God will give me the strength that only He can give but unltimately I choose the dirty window. Why Why Why!!! It's such a little thing but so powerful.

Chad said...

I hear you...thank you for responding with such honesty...