Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"No More Chipmunks"

This past Christmas, I was feeling nostalgic so I purchased the Chipmunks Christmas CD. I figured the kids would enjoy it and I would enjoy the trip down memory lane.
At first, I did enjoy it. Their high pitched singing took me back to when I was a child. The kids really, really enjoyed it! Every time we got in the car we had to listen to the chipmunks. I was fine with listening to the chipmunks sing the Christmas song in December and even in January...but Anna continued asking for it in February, March and April. We would still be listening to the Chipmunks if I had not finally said, "Anna, the Chipmunks are gone. I am sorry but they sing Christmas songs and they cannot sing them again until next Christmas." I think she is finally past denial and has begun to accept that the Chipmunks are gone until next year, but it was not easy for her to accept.

Its not easy letting go, is it? Most of us have accepted by now that life is always changing, but that does not mean we don't resist it. We want to keep the Chipmunks singing "Silver Bells" in May. We want the family gatherings to be like they were 20 years ago...we want our bodies to feel like they did 15 years ago...we want to play our favorite CD over and over...and for good reason...its what we know, its familiar, it feels comfortable. But the hard truth is, "Its May and Christmas is over!" As long as we are holding onto what was, we cannot embrace what is. God has something for you right now. Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow may not be. Will you and I receive what he has for us today?

To receive God today means that I must be willing to accept the changes that life brings my way. Resistance to change is really our futile attempt to be in control. When we are able to stop resisting change and accept it, we give up the need to be in control and find ourselves resting in the hands of the only One who is in control. "AAAHHHH!" What a place of rest...the whole world is changing and yet God holds me. I don't have to hold onto what I have always known--be it good or bad--because I am now held by Him.

In John 10:10 Jesus says, "I have come to give you life and life to the full." Let go and let God hold you and instead of losing you find yourself full.

No comments: