Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"WOW!"

I just left one of the most deeply spiritual, meaningful and moving events I have been a part of since Living Hope started ten years ago. No sermon was preached and no songs were sung, but from start to finish it was it a holy moment of worship. I wish all of you could have been here because had you been I believe you would have encountered the presence of God over pizza and cake, just as I did. WOW!

What I am describing is an appreciation lunch that Food 2 Go put on for Elk Enterprize (the CHS special needs students who help run Food 2 Go). Around 20 students were bussed to Living Hope. As they came into the building most of them were friendly, but hesitant and shy. But it was not long until their glance shifted up from the floor.

Mayor Kingseed addressed the students with words of thanks and appreciation on behalf of the community for their part in ending hunger for children in our community. I was honored to offer a prayer of blessing and encouragement over the students. Then pizza and drinks were served much to the students' delight. As we walked around the tables meeting the students and staff, we all began to feel more at home with one another.

Then, for me, the whole event came to its climax as we called each student up to the applause and cheers of us all. Each made his or her way to the front of the room to be recognized. Their faces beamed and their eyes lit up as they received a Centerville-Gold Food 2 Go T-shirt and certificate with their name on it.

Then cake was served and it was over, but one thing was significantly different...they entered friendly but hesitant but they left with their heads hung high addressing us as though we were long-time friends.

Lily hugged me and said, "I can't wait to show my mom." Nathan begged his teacher to let him go in the restroom and put on his t-shirt. Patrick held up his certificate and yelled, "Look at this!" Michael was so excited I thought his feet would leave the floor as he clapped for himself. Laura said "Thank you!" An Aide said to me, "In all the years I have worked with our special needs students, I have never known them to be given an award for anything."

And as they left, I heard one more voice...it was the voice of one who was unseen but just as present as any student...I heard the still small voice of God whisper, "and that is what it is all about!" Try as I might, I cannot put to words what has just happened here around pizza and cake. All I can tell you, is that is why I am a pastor and in that moment I encountered the spirit of God as though it was the first time.

Thank you to all our leaders and helpers for Food 2 Go. You did a great job and we are excited to feed children in now six schools in Centerville next year. We are praying for the churches in Miamisburg and West Carrollton who are starting their own Food 2 Go. Thank you Living Hope Church for doing more than just saying you care and for BEING the Church. You are church that is poured out! Praise God! WOW!

No comments: