Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Because

It seems to be a "parent-ism"  The child asks why one too many times and the parent says, "Because I said so."  I heard my parents say that to me a time or two.  I could not believe it the first time I heard those words come out of my mouth as a Dad.  Now that I am a Dad, I now understand that sometimes it really does feel like "Because I said so" is the best and only answer available at times.

In Psalm 91, God the Father gives a different kind of "because" that not only makes sense, but is powerful to hear as his child.

Let me back up a bit.  In the margin of my Bible, next to Psalm 91, I have written, "God said remember this. June 8, 2003."  Since that time I have remembered Psalm 91 and regularly turned to it during challenging times.  Each time since that date I have wondered, "God is this why you said to remember this Psalm."  It now seems he led me to saturate myself in this Psalm in preparation for the last two years.  These last two years have been a learning experience to say the least and every step of the way I have been hearing God speak his truth through Psalm 91.  This Psalm is full of promises for you and me and in verse 14 he tells us why he makes us all of the promises listed (check out these promises for yourself in Psalm 91: 1-13).

"Why do you promises these things, Father?"  His answer comes in verse 14, "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver and honor him."

Did you hear that?  "Because you love him,"  he will rescue, protect, answer, be with, deliver and honor!  Will you receive that today?  All of his promises are available to the one who simply loves him!  I don't know...I can't seem to find the words...all I can say is those promises and his "because" has given me great hope this week. 

I am sorry, I cannot write it better today, but I am convinced that someone else needed to hear the Father's "because" today. 

No comments: