Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Grandpa Use to Say...

My Grandpa used to say, "Life's great if you don't weaken."  I use to hear that as a child and think, "What the heck does that mean?"  The older I get, the more that saying makes sense. 

Just as many times as I heard my Grandpa say that phrase, I heard him ask a question like this:  "I don't understand why it seems those who live the worst and hurt the most seem to come out smell'n like roses.  Why is that?"  And then he'd say, "Well, I guess life is great if you don't weaken." 

As far as I know my Grandpa never finished high school, but wisdom has little to do with formal education.  He had come to the conclusion that the only way to live well was to not weaken.  I think of the Scripture that says, "Do not weary in doing good for you will reap a harvest of righteousness."  Any body need that promise today?  I do.  Go ahead, read it again.  Insert your name at the start of the sentence: "(Fill in your name), do not weary in doing good for you will reap a harvest of righteousness." 

Obviously, the Scripture is keeping it real because you would not be weary if doing good was always going to be easy. Opposition and obstacles are to be expected.  But the promise of God is also to be expected.  If you do not weaken, God will give you a harvest. 

May be some of us reading are like my Grandpa.  As much as we want to believe that promise, we can't shake the question, "Why do people lie, cheat and steal and still seem to prosper?"  God answers that question in Psalm 37.  I encourage you to read it for yourself.  It may not just answer that question, but it may also give you what you need not to weary in doing good because, as my Grandpa use to say, "Life's great if you don't weaken."

No comments: