Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Growing

Monday was my Grandpa Clyde's Birthday.  He has been dead since my Junior year of college.  I still miss him.  He was the first person I would call a true friend. I would work in his garden with him for hours.  Then we'd come home and Grandma would have lunch ready with an ice cold Pepsi.  He and I would sit at the table under the carport resting for the work in the garden and we'd talk.  He talked to me just like
I was a little man.  He made me feel valuable and loved by letting me be with him.

Certainly, he was the one that gave me a love for seeing things grow.  I stand and stare at the trees and plants I have planted in our yard. I love to see green, full leaves.  I cannot really put into words what it does inside of me to see something grow and bloom.  I know it may sound strange, but the new life of spring really does send hope surging through my being.  I believe that is from God and that God used my grandpa to help me see this reminder from creation.

This week I have seen evidence of growth that does not have leaves, but certainly is budding with new life.

On Saturday, I watched Mike Armstrong (Moyer) walk the aisle to receive his college degree.  I still remember when he graduated from a local drug rehab center. Mike introduced me to two of his favorite professors.  Each of them pulled me aside and said, "I just want you to know that in all my years of teaching I have never had a student work as hard as Mike to achieve his degree."  Wow!  Talk about growth!  All of you were a part of Mike's story of success.  You creating a church family where people can be real is what allowed Michael to not hide his addiction, but face it.

On Sunday, I listened as Marcus and Tammy Johnson shared their story of their daughter being raped.  I fought back tears as I heard them share how God sent them hear for the Exodus series when we faced human trafficking head on.  They said they cried every service but that was what God used to start their healing process.  Wow!  Talk about growth!  And God used all of you to make that story happen. If not for your commitment to being poured out, they would have never experience transformation from tragedy.

On Monday I sat in our board meeting.  I heard John Colegrove ask the board for prayer for our teens because they are now opening up and sharing their life struggles with the adult mentors.  Wow!  Talk about growth!  And you are apart of that break through for our teens because you allowed us to stop trying to entertain teens and start showing them what it means to truly be real, transformed, connected and poured out.

Then today, I went to Centerville High School.  I with others form Food 2 Go carried in Marion's pizza (Thank you to Marion's for the huge discount).  We thanked the special needs students who prepare the bags of Food 2 Go food for over 160 children each week in Centerville Schools who would otherwise go hungry on the weekends.  As I called the students names they cheered and blushed and gave each other high fives.  "Good job!" they shouted for each other.  And together we shout back at them, "Good job!"  Wow!  Talk about growth!  You are a part of that story every food items you donate, every hour of service you give, every penny you give to our poured out fund, every Kroger card registered and GL Scrip shopping card purchased not only feeds children but allows some very special students know that they are invaluable to our community.

I am reminded of the words from Galatians, "Do not weary in doing good for you will reap a harvest."  Don't weary, Living Hope Family...God is growing good things in you, among us and through you!  Keep at the good and you and I will keep having the joy of seeing a harvest that no one other than Jesus himself could make possible.  I thank God for you because...wow!  Talk about growth!

No comments: