Wednesday, May 8, 2013

By Faith

This week I have been reading from the book of the Bible called Hebrews.  We have no idea who wrote this book that so clearly shows how the Old and New Testaments of the Bible connect instead of contradict, but we do know why the book was written.  Hebrews was written to a church enduring persecution.  Because of their faith in Christ they had watched as loved ones were imprisoned, publicly humiliated, beaten, had their property confiscated and had been black ball listed so that people were afraid to do business with them.  The letter of Hebrews came in the mail just as the church was seriously considering saying that the hope they had in Christ was not worth the struggle they were experiencing in life.  In that way, the book of Hebrews is written to us all, isn't it?

I doubt that I am the only one who has ever felt like it would be easier to simply move into the stream of our culture; to just be swept away in greed, lust, gluttony, envy, pride, sloth or wrath.  I doubt that I am the only one who has ever thought, "Why not do just be selfish?  After all, it seems the selfish people get ahead why those who give a care about others are stepped on."  I doubt that I am the only one who has ever thought, "The more I grow in Christ, the more resistance I seem to face--is it worth it?"  I doubt that I am the only one who has ever thought, "Jesus may say the truth sets us free, but we do not seem to live in a world where even the church wants to hear the truth, so may be I should just tickle ears and make us all feel good."  I doubt that I am the only one who has ever felt like giving up because you just get tired of fighting what the apostle Paul called the "good fight." 

The truth is, Followers of Jesus have been feeling and thinking all of that and more since the days of the New Testament.  And that is why, an unknown voice (Some scholars argue that the reason the writer is not stated is because it might have been a female author who if people knew of her gender might not have taken her seriously in a patriarchal society) shouts through the centuries to grab us by the collars and slap us in the face to bring us back to the reality that gets our eyes off of the short-term stats and to look up and see the long-term guaranteed win!

This week, I turned to Hebrews 11.  I encourage you to turn there as well.  It is the "Hall of Faith" chapter.  It reminds us of person and after person who though they faced incredible odds and difficulties they kept their faith fixed on God and not their circumstances.  But it was verse 6 that demanded me to pause: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."  

"Must believe he exists."  That one I have in my pocket.  Praise be to God that through his Word, through his Spirit, through His Body and through his revelation in my own life, I cannot deny that he exists.  He is not just a God I believe in with my head, but one I experience in my life.

But it was the next phrase that brought encouraging conviction: "and [he must believe} that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."  Do I believe that?  Do I believe God rewards those who earnestly seek him?  Sometimes it does not feel like it.  Sometimes it feels like, God stands back and watches while hell abuses.  Sometimes it feels like, the more the pressure increases, the more His presence decreases.  I believe he exists, but do I believe he rewards?  The questions that verse raised in my mind, was the Holy Spirit's invitation.  "It is OK, Chad, you can believe that?  No, no one deserves it--How did he know that was what I was really thinking? :-)--but God does reward those who earnestly seek him."  That applies to me and it applies to you!  God rewards faith.  The reward of faith is knowing he exists in a world that lives like he does not.  The reward of faith is that whatever hell dishes out, heaven will make up for .  The reward of faith is that the only way darkness wins is if we quit walking toward the light. 

I thank the Father for this revelation of his truth.   I pray for the person reading this today who feels just like I have felt at times and just like people clear back to the church called the Hebrews felt.  We are in good company.  Resistance is not a sign to give up, but to seek Him all the more earnestly because he does exist and his reward is worth it!

No comments: