Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good Medicine

Our three year old son, Seth, often requests me to sing "Twinkle Little Star" to him at bed time. The reason he asks me to sing it is because I can never remember the lyrics. Rather than try to remember, I simply make up words to the song that are silly.

The other night, I was doing this and Seth giggled so hard I thought he might pee himself. His giggling then made me laugh. Then he asked me to sing again, so I made up another silly line and he about fell off the bed in laughter. Then he saw me laughing and decided to get in on the action. He made up a silly line to the song, which made me laugh out loud. We just laid there in his bed and belly-laughed for a good 5 minutes. When I walked out of his room, he shouted, "I Wove you, dad." "I love you, too," I said back.

As I closed his door, I said, "Thank you, Father." I have no doubt that my Father in heaven used my son to lift me up. You see it had been one of those days all day long. I was feeling discouraged and beaten up by some circumstances. Through a silly song with my son, God gave me exactly the medicine I needed. It is the medicine the Bible talks about in Proverbs: "A cheerful heart is good medicine." How true? A cheerful heart allows you to release stress, see things from a fresh perspective and to be reminded of all you have for which to be thankful.

That is one of the reasons I am so excited for this Sunday's celebration! It will be good medicine to rejoice with parents and help them bless their children. It will be good medicine to clap and cheer with brothers and sisters in Christ who will share their fresh stories of God's love and life-change. It will be good medicine to share a meal together and know that by eating some chili or PB&J we will be helping our teens serve Native Americans in need. It will be good medicine to hear the laughter of children as they play in bouncers, have their faces painted and play games. It will be a day of good medicine!

I don't know about you, but I could use some good medicine like that. Who do you know that could use a dose of that? Invite them to join you. Who knows, it may just save their life.

No comments: