Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Do you Believe what you Believe?"

This week, I was writing in my prayer journal. It was the start of a day that had a somewhat stressful looking to-do list. I was already beginning to feel the weight and anxiety. I simply wrote, "Father, I need you to do what I can't today."

No sooner had I penned those words, then I heard this scripture in my mind, "Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world."

Then a question entered my mind. "Do you believe that?"

"Yes," I wrote, "I believe that you are greater than anything I will face today."

"Do you really believe that?"

"Yes, I really believe that you are greater."

"Will you live like you believe that?"

I paused. I had to think about that. Now, God was asking this not just to be a verse I have memorized, but a truth by which I would live. What does it mean to live like "Greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world"?

It means that I will face the day with hope rather than dread. It means I will look away form the negative what ifs and worries and looks to the God for whom nothing is impossible. It means I choose to rejoice to in the day God has given me knowing that my security is in him and not in what did or did not happen that day. It means I choose to put my faith in what God can do rather than what I or others can do. It means I choose to find my worth in him and not in what I accomplish.

It means I have to figure out if I believe what I believe? Do you believe what you believe?

No comments: