Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Saving Worms"

We watch a lot of PBS cartoons in our house. One of my kid's favorite shows is the Kratz brothers--Two guys that now have an animation to help kids learn all about animals. In a recent episode, the brothers talked about worms and the important role they play on earth. They then showed them talking to real kids as they showed worms coming to the surface after a big rain. They showed 100's of worms stranded on the sidewalk in the sun. The brothers said,"Somebody has got to save these worms. Hurry...rescue the worms by picking them up and setting them on the grass so they can dig back into the ground before they dry out and die." I thought to myself, "My kids are afraid of worms. They would just let the poor things die." However, a few weeks later, we were outside after a rain. Sure enough the worms worked their way to the surface and many were stranded on the sidewalk. I remembered the show and jokingly shouted, "Somebody save the worms!" To my surprise, my kids overcome their fears through compassion and started rescuing the worms. "Come on, Daddy," they shouted. The next thing I knew I was saving worms too.

I suppose there is a lot of fear and prejudice when it comes to human trafficking. I have heard some say they just don't believe that it is a problem in Ohio even though government and independent studies all agree that 1800 American-born and immigrant children are enslaved in Ohio each year. I have heard some say that prostitutes make a choice for this lifestyle so they have to live what they choose. Of course, I doubt that most people know that the average entry age to prostitution in the US is age 13. In light of that, how many prostitutes really had a choice in the matter? I have heard Christians say, "Why are we talking about this? It is not like we can change it?" This is most bothersome, considering Jesus taught us to pray, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Others say I do not want to get involved so I can protect my kids. Even though we know that it is our suburban kids who are in as much danger for this modern day slavery as anyone and to do nothing puts our kids in more danger, not less.

I have had thoughts such as those run through my mind in the years leading up to this series. But Jesus has come to exchange my/your/our fears and prejudices for compassion.

Romans 5:8 says, "God demonstrated his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners (might we say, worms?), Christ died for us." He was not afraid of being dirtied or offended by our sin. He took it on. He let it pierce him because he knew "by his wounds we would be healed". He did not hold our choice to sin over us. He came to forgive us and to set us free. He came down from heaven, picked me up, even a worm like me and Jesus saved me. Jesus is saving me!

The writer of the hymn, Amazing Grace, was a former Slave Ship Captain before he was found by God. He then became a preacher. At the end of his life, he began to loose his memory, but he would say, "One thing I always remember: I am a great sinner, but Christ is a greater Savior."

Living Hope Church...let fear and prejudice be turned to compassion not for worms on a sidewalk, but for boys and girls, men and women---27 million of them-- who are dying in modern day slavery today. Register today for the Human Trafficking Awareness Event on August 27 at www.elivinghope.com. Tell some body else about the event. And the next thing you know, you will look around and see people every where saving something of much greater value than worms.

No comments: