Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"The Race"

My wife Kimberly is one among many here who are are training for races in the fall. I will admit that I do not understand the appeal of running. I take a brisk walk every evening and greatly enjoy it, but I tell our kids the only way I run is if something is chasing me that could kill me. As Whether you value running or not, the Bible uses the race as a metaphor for our faith in Christ.

At the end of his life, as he sit imprisoned awaiting his martyrdom, the Apostle Paul wrote, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award me on that day--and not only me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

Whenever I am feeling weary in my faith, when I am tempted to run off to my own ways and whims, when I feel like I would rather just indulge in what the world says isimportant rather than what God says is important, this passage of Scripture comes to mind. I actually think of the words of one of my seminary professors, Dr. Weigelt. He was genius of a man who some time in mid-life had a major mental breakdown. He openly shared his past mental collapse and his ongoing recovery. The man I knew was far from unstable. In fact, he was an example of one who had come to find complete peace with himself and his God. Perhaps it was his example in this way that made his words stand out all the more. One day in class he said, "The reward of our faith is not for those who start the race. Many start running this race, but somewhere along the way become weary or distracted. They sit down. They give up. They walk off in a different direction. The reward of faith is not for those who start the race, but for those who finish the race. The reward is not for those who run the fastest or for those who run and never stumble. The reward of our faith is for those how finish the race--be it fast or slow. The reward of our faith is for those who finish the race no matter how many the obstacle nor how many times they stumble and must get back up to their feet again. The reward of our faith is what makes the race worth it. But that reward is only for those who finish the race."

Probably the hardest things for me as Follower of Christ is to watch brothers and sisters in Christ who had once started the race, to quit running. Its funny...as much as we all like to say going to church does not make us a Christian (which is very true), but we forget that staying in our faith has very much to do with being the church and you can't be the church alone on the couch at home. I've yet to see a follower of Christ start missing coming together with the Body for worship and transformation to ever finish the race alone. Most likely, the folks to whom I am referring will never read this post. If by chance you are reading, please know that your church family is not here to kick you while you are down, but to help you on your feet again so you can finish the race.

There is a much greater chance that someone is reading today and you feel like giving up...temptation is pounding on your door or the mountains seem too big for you to overcome...I know...I've been there...it feels like it would be easier to give up than to finish the race. The truth is, it would be easier. It is always easier to give up. But before you give up, I urge you to remember that it is better to run while it is hard now and get the reward forever, than to give up because it is easier now and miss the reward forever. I urge you, I beg you, brothers and sisters...finish the race!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've ran a marathon and its all about the daily training. I'm learning this is also true about following the Lord. I know what its like when I stop training....and then try to run again...so renewing my mind daily in His promises is what make me want to be a race finisher.

Also running alone is not a good idea.

Eric

Chad said...

That's good, Eric. Thank you for sharing that.