Thursday, March 25, 2010

"I Messed Up"

I blew it. I completely missed an appointment yesterday. I had it in my head that it was next Wednesday. However, it was yesterday. The people came to meet with me and I was no where to be found. I was fulfilling a different appointment. When I realized what I had done, I felt awful. I called the person but only received their voice mail. So, I left a message. I explained my error and asked for their forgiveness. This morning the individual responded to my call. The person was full of grace and mercy toward me. I was extremely grateful for their undeserved understanding.

Other times, I have offended some one with out any knowledge or intent on my part. I have tried to talk with them about the issue and work toward reconciliation, but the door was slammed shut so tight that they will not even acknowledge I am knocking.

That's how it is with us people, isn't it? Sometimes we offer forgiveness when it is not deserved and other times we hold a grudge even when the other person did nothing to deserve it. And guess what? There is really nothing you can do about it. As Romans 12:18 says, the only thing you can do is, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

Of course, it is a different story with God. Jesus explains that through the stories in Luke 15. Give these old stories a new read, ask God which character you most relate to and what that means you most need to hear from Him.

No comments: