Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Happy St. Patrick's Day?"

It is amazing how over time, meaning can be lost. For instance, I cannot figure out how St. Patrick's day became associated with green beer, leprechauns and the luck of the Irish. It seems that the only true meaning associated with the day that has remained is its namesake. And St. Patrick did not bring to the world an excuse for a drunken search for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Rather, he offered faith in Jesus Christ in place of blind luck.

In fact, St. Patrick was not even Irish. Irish raided his Roman Britain home taking Patrick captive and forcing him to be a slave-shepherd for the Irish King. Though Patrick was raised in a christian home, he had little personal interest. However, long months of isolation as a slave made him take another look at the faith of his parents. As a result, he had his own encounter with Christ. He wrote, "I would pray constantly during the daylight hours and the love of God surrounded me more and more." Eventually, God showed him an escape and he was finally home.

However, 30 years later, God called Patrick to return to Ireland to offer them the love of Jesus Christ. The Irish of the fifth century were a pagan, violent, and barbaric people. Human sacrifice was commonplace. Patrick understood the danger and wrote: "I am ready to be murdered, betrayed, enslaved—whatever may come my way." In response to his faith and courageous obedience thousands committed their lives to Christ.

So, whatever your plans might be this St. Patrick's day, I urge you to make them in light of this prayer of St. Patrick:

I arise today
Through the strength of heaven;
Light of the sun,
Splendor of fire,
Speed of lightning,
Swiftness of the wind,
Depth of the sea,
Stability of the earth,
Firmness of the rock.

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's hosts to save me
Afar and anear,
Alone or in a multitude.

Christ shield me today
Against wounding
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through the mighty strength
Of the Lord of creation.

To that I say, "AMEN!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've met with someone who needed the comfort of a good friend. We started off with a very strong an present fear of being betrayed. We had lunch and got it on the table...then again at dinner we both agreed that Christ was at work so we could help each other...simple way to obey and He did bring us both out of our fears. Thanks

Chad said...

Wow, Eric...thank you for sharing that.