Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"1 = 120"

I admit I am not very good at math. Actually, I stink at math. I am very thankful that I am married to an accountant for whom numbers come naturally. However, the good thing about not being good at math is that I have no problem understanding God's math, even when it does not make sense to those who are good at math.

For example, in God's math 1= 120. Let me explain...about 5 years ago a woman and her son came to worship with us. She is a woman with a big heart, but very unassuming. She will do anything for anyone, but prefers to do it behind the scenes. She is gentle and quiet, but she is God's. And because she is God's, she lets God work through her in the way that seems to come most naturally for her. Through her relationships with family, friends and c0-workers, she exhibits the love of Christ and then, when God opens the door, she simply invites them to come visit her church family with her on Sunday. And because they love her and they know she loves them, they come. One by one...people she has invited have come. One person she invited sent me an email this week and shared that at her last count 120 people have visited Living Hope because of this one person. Many of them have not only become a part of the church but have for the first time discovered for themselves what it is like to live in a daily and personal relationship with Christ. Person after person numbered in that 120 now have their own stories of how God is radically transforming their lives.

To us 1 is small...1 can't do much...1 won't amount too much...but in God's mathematical system 1 can equal 120. For that I praise God and I say thank you to the one who let God use her to equal 120. God is using her one life and one simple invitation at a time to change the world one person at a time. Praise God and thank you, Amber Sweeney!

No comments: