Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"Singing in the Rain"

A while back my neighbor that lives across the street from me said, "Chad, did you hear the rain early this morning?"

"Yeah," I said, "It woke me up."

"Did you hear anything else?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"The birds," he said, "The whole time it was raining the birds were singing. When was the last time you sang in the rain?"

What about you? When was the last time you sang in the rain? I have cried in the rain...I've thrown adult-temper tantrums in the rain...I've shouted in frustrated, "It's not fair...why me?" in the rain...I've withdrawn into a dark and lonely place in the rain...but sing...? I wonder what birds know that I don't? I wonder what would happen if I gave their response a try to the rain in my life?

"About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God , and the other prisoners {Did you catch that? Paul and Silas are singing in prison} were listening to them. Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison door's flew open, and every body's chains came loose. The jailer woke up and when he saw the prison doors open, he drew his sword to kill himself because he thought the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted, 'Don't harm yourself! We are all here!' ...the jailer asked, "What must I do to be saved?" (Acts 16:25-30).

That's what happened when Paul and Silas, beaten and bleeding in prison, sang songs of praise to God! First of all, singing to God got their focus on something greater and more hopeful than their own negative circumstances. Next, when we focus on God we put ourselves in a position to let God open doors for us that we could never open on our own. Third, God uses people who sing in the rain or in the prison cell to help others hear and receive his love now and forever.

Birds singing in the rain...Men singing in a prison cell...I wonder what they know that I don't? I wonder what would happen if I gave a their response a try?

Is it raining? Why not try singing?

No comments: