Wednesday, July 10, 2013

An Invitation I Can't Refuse

Jesus said, "Come to me all of you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest."

Anybody weary?  Life is a wonderful gift, but it can also be wearisome.  Things happen.  Hurt comes.  Mistakes and sins are committed and consequences follow.  Things that we have no control over go wrong.  Other people make choices that negatively impact us.  And, we get tired.  Or at least I do. 

Anybody burdened?  I wonder how many people will read this and say yes as they feel the weight of the world bearing down on their shoulders.  Its heavy.  It feels like it will never let up.  You can feel its weight physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  Yes, that is a burden. 

If you relate to one or both of the above, then get this: You are exactly who Jesus is inviting...I know, right? He is inviting weary and burdened people?  Is he sure he does not want strong and joyful people?  He wants we whose shoulders are sagging and eyes are on the ground.  Yep...you and I are exactly who he has in mind.  He knows you have enough on you that he makes the invitation very simple...its just three words..."Come to me."  Get that...let it sink in...Jesus wants weary and burdened people like you and me to come to him right now. 

Why? He invites us to come so he can give us rest.   I don't know about you, but that is an invitation I cannot refuse. 

This Sunday we will be talking about the rest Jesus invites us to enter.  If you or someone you know is weary and burdened, I hope you will receive the invitation to come. 

No comments: