Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Washing Feet

On Sunday we closed by looking at John 13 in which Jesus washed the dirty feet of the disciples during their last meal together before his crucifixion.  At the end we asked, "What if Jesus is showing us the best way to receive God's unconditional love is to give it away to others?"  This question is made even more powerful when we realize that one of the people whose feet Jesus washed was Judas his betrayer.  We then received the challenge: Will we wash some one's feet this week?

On Sunday, during communion, I told God I was willing to wash the feet of anyone He led me to this week.  On Monday I received the news of some one's plan to try to hurt me.  I was hurt and I was mad.  That evening during my walk, I began to really talk to God about the situation.  I knew God was at work in me, but I was not yet free.

The next morning I woke up and began to do what I do every morning.  When I first wake up, I lay in the bed and I give God thanks.  But that morning my thanks was cut short with the name of my "Judas."  I prayed, "Lord, what do I do about this?"  Then it was clear that this is the person whose feet he wants me to wash this week. "But how do you wash some one's feet who won't even talk to you?"  I prayed.  The response was clear, "You pray and forgive."

I began that moment the washing process.  To be honest...at first it stunk. But by the end of the day I was feeling free.  Then this morning I woke up and began to thank God and suddenly I realized the hurt and anger I felt toward my "Judas" was gone.  I am free. Now I can wash his feet by simply praying for him.  And today it does not even stink.

It makes me wonder about a good question I heard asked many years ago:  What if God can even use a Judas for good in our lives?

I don't know what you think of that, but I believe that God can.  God has done that in my life even this week 

What about you?  Do you have a story of how God has called you to wash some one's feet this week?  I would love to hear your story.  Thanks for listening to mine. 

No comments: