Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Feelings Second"

I tried the treadmill and hated not going anyplace.  I tried the mall, but I don't even like to go to the mall to shop so why would I think that would be a motivating place to walk?  So, I decided that since the one place I enjoy walking is outdoors, I would not let the weather stop me from taking a thirty minute walk every day. 

However, I admit, on cold days like yesterday I am not feeling it.  Everything in me says, "Its too cold.  Just skip a day. Be honest: you just don't feel like walking today."  On those days when I do not feel like walking, I remind myself of this truism: "When I don't feel like it, I need it the most."  That is so true...less than half way through my walk I am feeling it and thanking God that I did not miss what has become a great time of prayer, stress relief and exercise for me.

I don't know about you, but too often I let my feelings dictate my action.  Now, please do not mishear me.  I am not one who devalues feelings.  God made us to be emotional creatures and our feelings have great value to all we are and do.  However, it seems that some where along the way our culture has wrongly taught us that feelings should always precede action. For example, our culture suggests, that when I feel like walking, I can then walk or when I feel like connecting with other believers in a small group to be real and transformed then I can do so or when I feel like I am dating again, then I can date my wife again or when I feel like serving, then I can serve. Our culture has taught us to assume we should not do anything we do not feel first.  What lunacy!

Jesus said, "Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself"  He did not say to love God and others only when you first feel it, but to love them even when you don't feel it.  Why?  So we can all be hypocrites?  No!  He tells us to love without the feelings so we will NOT be hypocrites.  Jesus said even pagans love those who love them first.  We are called to a more true way of living, which means sometimes we must act before we feel.

It is amazing how this works.  When I do the right and good thing even before I feel like doing it, I actually allow the feelings to come.  For example, when I walk even though I do not feel it, I have never finished the walk thinking I still don't feel it.  When Kimberly and I act lovingly toward each other even during those times when we are not feeling it like we were when we were dating, it is amazing how those feelings follow.  When I show up at the men's Bible study and accountability group tonight, I know from past experience, that even though my introverted self never feels like going, I always leave thanking God that I've gone because he always uses those men to let me hear Him and to move me into new territory.

What would happen if for the rest of this week we all were determined to act before we feel? Talk about an adventure! One thing is for sure, our corporate worship would go to a whole new level this Sunday.  Why not give it a try whether you feel like it or not? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you pastor Chad, again the Lord remind me His truth through you! Many years ago God taught me to pay attention to my feelings, but live and make choices not according them.
Thank you!!!!

Chad said...

Thank you for taking the time to share.