Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Holy Interruptions"

I'm not a big fan of interruptions. I have a personality that appreciates schedules, order and tasks. I do not like surprises unless I have helped plan them. My idea of spontaneous is planning to do something that is different than my normal routine. (Yes, I know that you with opposite personality traits are thinking of less positive words to define what I have described, but before you voice them, please know that people in my camp have our negative words to describe you. Let's both just leave it alone :-). Needless to say, I do not typically value interruptions. However, if I am to experience anything of value during Christmas, then I must be willing to embrace interruptions as holy.

The 1st Christmas story is a litany of Holy interruptions:

Zechariah and his wife Elizabeth had settled into the twilight years, having long-since accepted they would never have children. It may not be what they planned, but by this time in life they are planning on nothing more. Suddenly, an Angel appears and interrupts their plans with God's plan--you will have a son and call him John. He will be the one who the Prophet Isaiah said would prepare the way for the Lord.

Mary is preparing for her wedding day. She has been arranged for marriage with a really good guy. She and Joseph will have a simple, uneventful, but nice life together. Suddenly, an Angel appears and announces that God has a different plan. Mary will conceive by the Holy Spirit and carry the Son of God in her womb.

Then there is Joseph and the Shepherds and the Magi all of whom experience the 1st Christ-coming as an interruption to their lives. The 1st Christmas story is all about God breaking into our world with a different plan. His plan was such an interruption that there was no room, for indifference. Either you allowed the interruption and went with God's new plan for your life or you resisted and did whatever you could to put this new plan of God to death. That is what the religious leaders of Jesus day did. They put the Interruption of God to death. But then, praise God, life interrupted death with Resurrection.

Holy Interruptions...that is the story of Christ's birth, death and resurrection. Why should I think that God would do anything different this Christmas? Will I let God interrupt my plans this Christmas with his plan? Will you?

No comments: