Wednesday, November 30, 2011

"Mountains"

Do you ever have one of those days when you feel like you are trying to plow through a mountain with a sandbox shovel? Man...that is how I feel today. I feel like everything I have set out to do today has turned into a mountain because of my lack of motivation and focus.

As I was thinking about feeling like I was stuck this side of a mountain, I was reminded of something Jesus said about mountains. "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you" Matthew 17:20.

I am struck by what Jesus did NOT say would move the mountain. He did not say my strength, motivation, focus, determination or will power would move the mountain. Nor did he say if my faith is big enough, I can see the mountain move. Rather he said that if my faith is as small as a mustard seed, which is about the smallest of the smallest seeds, then I can see mountains move. The reason the size of my faith is unimportant in moving a mountain is because it is not about me, but about Him. Its is not my faith, but the one in whom I put my faith that holds the power to say to this mountain move from here to there. Its about releasing self-reliance and becoming God-dependent. Its about me coming to the point where I throw down my sandbox shovel and say, "God I can't." And then looking up and saying, "But God, I believe you can." That is when, Jesus says, you experience that "Nothing will be impossible for you." Once again, Jesus turns my thinking upside down...or may be it is right side up...when I admit what is impossible for me, then nothing is impossible for me.

What about you? Standing on the wrong side of a mountain? I guess you can try to climb it, go around it, tunnel through it or just decide to live there. Or Jesus says you can climb on his shoulders and watch mountains move.

No comments: