Wednesday, September 21, 2011

"One Slow Bagel"

On Tuesday, I had a breakfast meeting at Tim Horton's. I meet at this particular Tim Horton's regularly and have come to know the owner on a first name basis. I always compliment him on how smoothly his team handles the crowds that pull through the restaurant in the morning. However, this Tuesday I just kept my comments to my self because there was nothing smooth happening.

I was there when the problem occurred. Right after my order a new trainee started working the bagel station. Apparently, the newbie got the order wrong. Then in trying to figure out was wrong and make the order right, he fell several orders behind. Then in trying to catch up he messed up more orders causing him to fall farther behind. I felt for him.

Actually, I can do more than feel for him, I can relate. It is very easy in life to mess up, fall behind and before you know what has happened stuff has piled up higher than you feel like you can dig your way out. Do I need to make up examples or can you insert your own? I know i can insert my own. Whether it is in relationships, finances, health, spiritual vitality...all it takes is a little mess up and the next thing you know stuff starts piling up fast.

The look of panic on the poor guys face made me want to climb over the counter and try to help. Fortunately, the owner stepped up. He did not yell or criticize, he simply started helping the new guy out. Did the new guy say, "No, I got this" and refuse the help? No way! With a look of great relief, he let the owner help him.

Will we humble ourselves and let God help us through others? Isn't that what James 5:16 is all about. I have mentioned Scripture enough that by now, you probably know what it is. If not, I encourage you to revisit it. Come on...what are you waiting on...stuff is piling up this minute and help is available in James 5:16.

No comments: