Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Enough Light for the Next Step"

This morning I prayed in reference to a particular situation, "Father, I need your clarity and direction." No sooner had I prayed that, then God responded by putting this Scripture verse in the forefront of my mind: Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet." I smiled and said, "Thank you, Father." This morning, right when I was seeking direction, he sent his word of truth to me and it was exactly what I needed to remember.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet," reminds me that God has not promised to light up the path like an airport run way. I would prefer that, but he does not promise that. Instead he promises to give me enough light for the next step. If I will learn to trust him for the next step, then he will give me enough light for the next step and with each step, I will find the direction I seek.

The more we learn to trust God to reveal enough light to give us the next step, the more we learn to walk through open doors and not try to break down closed doors. Today, I had a door close. With that Bible verse in mind, I was able to back up and say, "OK...that door is closed for a reason. Now, it is time for me to look for the next open door. God give me light for the next step to take."

The more we learn to trust God to reveal enough light for the next step, the more we learn to listen to his Word. God will never lead me to do anything that is contrary to the teaching of the Bible. I can trust that and let it guide me.

The more we learn to trust God to reveal enough light for the next step, the more seriously we take our connection to the Body of Christ. God gives us the church--that is the people of God--to help us hear from him. Many times God has used the experience, challenge or encouragement of a brother or sister in Christ to point me in the right direction.

Most of all, that verse reminds me that God wants to light up the path for me. He will not leave me stranded in the dark. In fact, if I am running in the dark it is probably because I quit walking in the light he gives me for each step and have tried to run on out in front his light. Learning to follow Christ is about learning to depend on him one step at a time.

1 comment:

danellejoy said...

"He will guide me in paths of righteousness."...just hit me in a whole new way! Thank you for this "random thought!"