Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"72 degrees in November"

With election day behind us, we can answer the phone without hearing a political call and we can open the mail box without receiving a hundred political mailers. So, take the signs out of the yard, turn off the news and just may be you and I will not miss that it is November and it is 72 degrees and sunny outside!

Did you hear me? It's 72 outside. Need I remind you we live in Ohio?! There cannot be very many sunny, 72 degree days left. Before long, the cold will come to stay for winter and gray will color the sky. But today, friends, it is sunny and 72!

I wonder how many people will miss this rare November day? Some will be so busy celebrating or mourning the election results that they will miss it. Some will be so busy working till it is dark to notice it. Some will be so focused on today's crisis that this nice day is not worth enjoying.

It is easy to miss the little, but truly special gifts God gives us every day, isn't it? I am convinced that the greatest things in life are the smallest things. Things like...the colors of a sun rise splashing across the sky, the giggle of a child, the time to eat your favorite ice cream nice and slow, a little prayer to God that brings him up close and personal...you know...things like a 72 degree day in November.

The Bible says, "This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it." How do we do that? By not missing the "72 degree days of November" in our lives.

Can I be really honest? In the last two week I have been gone working too much. Too many nights away and not enough time at home...I have more than put in my hours . I looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow. It is suppose to get colder. So, I have made a decision. I am leaving and I will be back in time for the Gathering.

If you call, you won't reach me. If you email, I will not reply. If you stop by the church, I will not be here. Ask me where I'll be and I will tell you...I went home to make up on time that I will never get back with my 2 favorite kids and my beautiful wife. After all, 72 degrees in November is something that is here one day and gone the next, so you better enjoy it while you can.

No comments: